art, Arts, Balenciaga, bloggers, books, chic, clothes, Clothing, comparisons, context, couture, Cristobal Balenciaga, culture, design, designer, dress, exhibit, Fashion, haute couture, history, influence, inspiration, life, Madrid, observations, photography, pictures, quotations, quotes, Spain, style
Balenciaga and Spain: the tome that accompanies the exhibition is the closest one can get to the real thing (if the real thing is impossible). Indeed, for many a lazy afternoon, this book has been to me: part exhibit, part history lesson, and a total immersion in a culture foreign. The sartorial aspect was the inherent guiding force, as the main subject being studied was none other than the legendary designer, Cristóbal Balenciaga (1895–1972).
What fascinated me most in my perusals was the context-sensitive aspect of fashion explored. Here, the influence of country, culture, custom, and art, were all carefully curated to form an irresistible invasion of the designer’s genius.
Inspiring images, ranging a wide and complex gamut, form most of the content: at times, richly textured with life, at others, almost monastic in a strict embodiment of style and chic. But throughout, the theme is constant: that of Spain, for this is a country “stamped indelibly on the souls of its children.” As evidenced indeed, in the life and work of its visionary, Balenciaga.
Balenciaga believed ‘in the unquestionable elegance of black and white, in the color of the Spanish earth and rocks and olive trees, in the red of the bull ring, in the effective accent of turquoise, in the Goya combination of black with beige, gray with black, and in yellow.’
This Spanish house abides by the great rule that elimination is the secret of chic.
Goya, whether Balenciaga is aware of it or not, is always looking over his shoulder. He believes in lace and ribbon bows – never used in a fussy way but rather with true Spanish dignity.
For Balenciaga, designing clothes was more than a craft, more than art: it had the characteristics of a religious vocation.
…the warp-printed carnations seem, on their pale ground, like the flowers scattered on the clear yellow sand of a bullring in the blazing heat.
Black, in all its tones, was a motif of Balenciaga’s work…So, too, were the brilliant yellow and red of the Spanish flag. This is a color combination so inherent in the Spanish identity…
If a woman came in a Balenciaga dress, no other woman existed.
All images (except the first) are taken from the book. Composites were created by myself.
accessories, Acne, Alexander McQueen, art, aviator sunglasses, buckles, candy, canvas bag, chunky sweaters, crazy, events, Fashion, flowers, haiku, heart, heart manicure, heart pendant, hearts, high heels, Lanvin, leather booties, leather skirts, life, long pendant necklaces, love, manicure, Monsoon, nail art, observations, oversized cardigans, oversized sweater, peep toe booties, pendant, pink, pinterest, poem, poetry, Polyvore, pullover sweaters, red, red frames, singlehood, singles, style, sunglasses, sweater, Tiffany & Co., tote, valentine, valentine's day
alphabet, art, Arts, blog, blogging, board games, comparisons, creatures, Dragon Year, events, friends, games, gif, haiku, Haiku and Related Forms, Kickstarter, letters, life, Lunar New Year, Monster, observations, obstacles, photography, pictures, poem, poetry, rants, Scrabble, word games, words, writer's block, writing
I’ve tried to pare down my list of resolutions to the bare minimum this year. This was difficult, as I tend to get them confused with my to-do list and thus write out too many resolutions to actually keep ;P Anyways, I finally solved the problem by creating two separate lists. I also jotted down the “rewards” of keeping each of my resolutions: This will serve as
a reminder as to why I even bother doing this ENCOURAGEMENT. I’m determined to keep them all!
Here’s to 2012!! ^_^
Study an hour a day. DON’T FREAK OUT ON ME DAD (I know you’re reading this!) My study time ranges from 6-8 hours on regular days. But I’m trying to study everyday, and I tend to forget about the time once I’m really into the textbook. So, yeah, I like playing mind games with myself. Weird, much?
Reward: I won’t have a ♥ attack every time I get called on in class.
Keep blogging. I know, I hardly need to be making this a resolution as I’ve been reasonably consistent with my 4 posts a month mantra. However, exams are coming up soon, and this is to remind me to create content well ahead of time.
Reward: I’m hoping this pressure will help substitute focused blogging for mindless drifting on the internet. Plus, with all the studying I need to do, methinks my little bloggy habit will help keep me SANE.
11pm bedtime on school nights. Believe me, 11pm is a huge improvement. I especially like how the last three words sound like a caveat. (It’s not. But don’t tell my brain that.)
Reward: Makes me more productive in the morning; Kicks my caffeine addiction; Gets rid of dark under-eye circles.
Keep a planner. I love planners. Blank ones. But I’m determined to fully utilize them this year.
Reward: Better time organization. Plus, I’ll know how many days are left till the world ends…oops, I mean, till my exams.
Work out 5 minutes a day. I usually get excited about exercise only 5 minutes AFTER I start. I figure that instead of terrifying myself with the thought of a daily workout, I’ll trick myself into doing it instead – by making it sound TOO easy. (Even if this doesn’t work out, I’ll still enjoy the torturous mind games. TMI?)
Reward: Makes my body work better, makes my body FEEL better…and makes me feel better about my body :D Plus, it helps me sleep at night!
- Crack the denim code. I need a pair of jeans for family vacation. We’re visiting a lot of theme parks this year. (Oh, the joys of having a huge age gap among siblings ;)
- Watch all the Studio Ghibli movies in my collection. I keep putting this off. I’m pretty scared that they won’t all be as wonderful as Spirited Away.
- Make more Polyvores. ♥They’re fun!♥
- Write the sequel to my Wardrobe Staples: Real vs “Ideal” (Part I) post. This is waaay over-due.
- Comment on more blogs I like. I’m shy, so this will be hard.
Congrats if you made it all the way to the end. As a reward, you get a magical unicorn! *sprinklesrainbows* However, since there are no such things as magical unicorns, you basically get nothing ^_~
Oh wait…Here you go! :D
Today was absolute *bleep*. I had to go shopping. Any mention of this activity is normally a cause for carnal celebration, but not today. Today was full of nothing but *bleeping* ANGST AND DESPAIR. My favorite store has closed down, and I am convinced that they did so for the sole purpose of making me SAD. The mall had nothing but overpriced *bleep* that wasn’t worth purchasing. WHY ARE YOU SO SHINY YOU ARE HURTING MY *BLEEPING* EYES. I couldn’t get the book I needed (NEEDED! TO FULFILL HIGHER PURPOSES OF THE *BLEEPING* ACADEMIC VARIETY!). In fact, the staff cheerfully informed me that they’d sold the last copy yesterday (*BLEEP!*). Plus, the next shipment would be in THREE *BLEEPING* MONTHS.
And then my brother showed me this video:
And now the world is full of rainbow sprinkled unicorn glittershit and…I just can’t stop smiling ^_^
Edit: In retrospect, this post sucked. (And so does self-censorship. There. I said it out loud.) The only thing in it that doesn’t suck belongs to Youtube. I want to strangle myself. Who rants while practicing self-censorship anyway?? -_-“
But I guess my absence does merit a few flimsy excuses :) *brightsmile*
- I’ve spent the past few days preparing for and moving from Penang to Kuala Lumpur (KL) to facilitate the continuation of my higher-level education (This place is, like, the capital and that information is supposed to elicit your wows coz of its general big deal-ness).
- There were good intentions to post. Really. I wanted to break the news gently, the way a butterfly flaps its wings in the breeze (and causes storms and stuff). But a whole lot of last-minute-crap came up and I ended up not posting at all.
- To make up for it, I will do a few posts on my fantastic packing techniques. That is, how I managed to fit all my wardrobe staples into a single carry-on luggage. Plus, there will be one post exclusively dedicated to the paraphernalia necessary to packing accessories. It will feature cute foam pieces and awesome storage units. ^o^
- Life at my new college starts on Saturday. I’m spending most of my time staring into space and vibrating with fear (of the unknown). And NOT posting.
- My condition is being remedied by reading Tavi Gevinson’s new RookieMag. And totally identifying with this and this and this… (STILL NOT POSTING).
- Instead of posting, I procrastinated even more tonight, by drinking powdered ice lemon tea which, according to my brother, tastes like insecticide. *yum* The chemicals in said wonderful drink is now making me type 10% slower than usual because…uh, because it is making me type 10% slower than usual. (And making me think slower as well. Tautology rocks! *idon’tknowwhyijustsaidthat*)
- Most of my precious posting time was also spent choosing one of the many photos I snapped on the plane, thus further delaying me from posting. In the end, I decided on this lovely, threadbare shot of the wing of said plane. Because such an IMPERSONAL photo is undeniable, irrefutable PROOF that I sat on said plane for my flight to KL. ^_^